Standing Out Among Many: Why A Good CV Counts
Everyone has a story and a history to them, but it all depends on the way it's told to gain the best understanding of them as a person.
The best stories when recruiting someone is by reading their CV.
Not their freely-available social media accounts or their YouTube vlog channel, but a document that they have spent time in trying to form a message in who they are, and what they can bring to your business.
There are thousands upon thousands of Curriculum Vitae how-to across the internet and social media platforms, but without bringing across your personality to the page, it’s wasted.
Wasted on the candidate, wasted on the recruiter.
A story needs to relate while being interesting and leaving them wanting more; that’s what makes a great CV stand out, and that’s what an interview request will be; the extension to the story of the candidate.
It’s also worth mentioning that the content is only 75% of a great CV. The layout is the remaining 25%. It needs to look as if you have created the document; not a template or a family relative; it needs to show how you can format and layout how each section lasts, and even how the fonts and the colour scheme work well with one another.
Otherwise, it may be something that rings with concise content but a sub-par design.
With that, here’s a couple of pushes in the right direction to create a brilliant Curriculum Vitae.
Make it Simple
Simple is the main term that one should always refer back to when creating one. It needs to list three points:
That’s it. Some may want references in the document, but it’s best to have those separate. The candidate needs to sell themselves first, not have a manager from 3 years ago to have their reference on the C.V.
Each section needs to be concise and to the point, but enough that it makes the employer want more, and the only way that can be done is to call them for an interview.
The ‘About You’ should be two paragraphs at the most, to say who the candidate is, their interests and skills that relate to the role in question, alongside the ‘why’. Anyone can write a short biography, but it needs to be relevant to the role; it needs to say why they would be a good fit in the role.
The ‘Employment History’ needs to show the dates and the roles that were carried out during those times, alongside achievements. Write about the skills and the recognition earned during the time, and why the role concluded.
Qualifications, depending on how many, should only be a paragraph’s work. List the grades achieved, and if there are any extra-curricular activities done also, put them in. It shows initiative, especially if they relate to the role.
Of course, there may be a rare situation where there simply isn’t space for just one page, so in these cases, having some content on the ‘back’ of the page, to make it double-sided would be a great way to still keep the document minimal, and to still keep it concise.
Make It Stand Out
There may be a situation during this pandemic that a manager is currently rifling through a stack of submitted C.V’s and most may look the same. It could mainly be due to the first template that will appear on an Office Suite that people will have chosen to copy over the content of their employment history and so forth.
However, as mentioned before; writing one is not only what’s required to make a brilliant CV.
A picture for a start is a great way to put the words to a face; it gives the employer an image of who that person is, and how it relates to their achievements that have been stated.
The layout can really help make an impression; if it’s a job that’s in the field of sports, make the layout and colour scheme relevant to the genre. The document needs to be serious, of course, but there’s no harm in having some fun to make it stand out a bit more.
There are even ways of using technology to further improve on what, let’s face it, can be a rather plain document in the wrong hands.
There may be a need to expand on a point raised in one of the sections, but no one wants to type out a long URL or to try and search for it.
A ‘QR Code’ could really help reduce that wait, while showing the potential employer that the candidate has some understanding of using technology to their benefit.
Using the below code will take you to the Executives main page, so the possibilities of having one on the document can really set it apart, and make the employer curious as to what else they can do using these methods.
There you have it; a CV can be in many forms, but it needs to be an extension of the candidate; it needs to show a beginning and a middle of their journey so far, but in a way that makes the employer want to reach out and offer a face-to-face meeting, whether if that’s on Zoom currently or in-person.
There’s always room for a candidate; they just need to show that they make a great introduction first through their CV.